It's interesting alright. I really can't imagine what i'll be for the next 30 years. I believe this questions bugs every form 5 students after spm. But those who love physics and add maths can have it easy in engineering, which offers not only one of the most scholarships around, it has a lot of places and demand is great especially for Malaysia which is developing.
But for a bio person like me, where should i go? JPA only offers degree in the sciences, vet and medicine related fields. Am i suitable for those? Is it my calling? Degree in the sciences gets you into teaching (tell me if i'm wrong), animals are not my type, mouths are not what i want to see and neither do i like chemistry. Which leaves just one: doctor.
I've battled with this question: To be a doctor or not. Don't get me wrong. I have the highest respect for those in this profession. But i considered the pros and the cons and am still battling the dilemma although i told those closest to me i'm closed to the idea. Here's why:
Pros:
- Good pay
- Respected
- Job very stable, not affected but economic downturn
- Can help people physical and even spiritually if the opportunity arises
- Everyone encourages me to be a doctor
Cons:
- Long working hours especially for initial stages
- Difficult work
- Afraid of blood and surgery
- Needs lots of brains
- Less time with family
- Less time for church activities
Initially i was still open to the idea of pursuing a career in medicine. It was after the JPA exposure trip to the hospital that i decided that medicine may not be my kind of job. Firstly it is because of my lack of passion. I like the idea, i like the job but i'm not so sure about my motivation. 5 years of study just for a normal degree is a long time. Not to mention the bond to the government and also the years as houseman and also medical officer before i'm able to become a speacialist. They say around 14 years before we can actually relax. wow.. that's long..
But my main reason for not taking it up is because of my 5th and 6th con reason. I worry that they'll be less time for my family and also the church, especially the Youth ministry. Being on the job and on call almost 24-7, i also wonder how it'll affect me, especially when i go completely blur when i'm sleepy, tired, and hungry. My judgement completely goes haywire.
The only thing that's keeping me wondering now is the many that encourages me to be a doctor. It's a little perplexing. I prefer psychology but a lot discourages me from taking it. I don't actually like medicine but not even one discourage me-- well with the exception of the nurses and the doctors in the hospital. Hah!
Any comments? I really need more info about psychology.
Lord, what's your calling?
No comments:
Post a Comment