Friday, October 5, 2007

Am I on the right path?

I don't know how to start. At first I was just telling my brother that I'm going early to MYF at 7 tomorrow. Then, he asks for what to which I answered to pray. That's when the whole issue started.
Actually we already have our disagreements in the area of spirituality. We have different theology in a sense. In P&W, my focus is to usher in the Holy Spirit so that people can worship in spirit and in truth but he thinks fun and atmosphere that is not too boring is necessary first. Yes I agree that primary school and lower secondary schoolers may not grasp spiritual maturity that quickly and I do agree P&W has to be more youthful so that youths don't feel like they are attending an adult thing.
But just now, he has me so angry and sad at the same time. First he claims that group prayer is not important. He says I can pray myself at home. Before this argument today, he says I should not get too involved in my praise and worship duties coz it's taking away my playing time with him. Then, I do agree that if I'm involved every week with praise and worship, it's not so good too as I know the importance of family time together. I also try to make it a point to take a once a month break so that I can have more time for myself and family on Sat aftrernoons. But now, all I ask is to go half an hour earlier and he is throwing all kinds of doctrine on me. He does not want me to go early so that he does not have too. Why he doesn't want? Because he does not want to wander alone and bored for half an hour until his friends come. I can't describe how i felt.
Basically, i'm not sure whether he wants to play with me because he wants to spend time for a closer relationship with me or just for him to pass time and have fun. I know I should not doubt but that's how I feel. When I argue with him, I have to be extremely careful. Say the wrong word and off it comes back to you in the next argument. So I often resort to say the necessary things and whatever he says after that I treat as noise pollution because I know pride will take away any solutions. But I wonder if that is the right thing to do. I'm afraid it may signal I've nothing to say to counter him and that he is right. though sometimes I do have nothing to say (only becuase I can't find the right words), but I'm just trying to control myself from blowing up at him!
He also says that I always undermine his spiritual knowlegde and I'm always "holier" and that I always complain that the MYF'ers are not spiritual enough. I do agree that I have doubts about him spiritually. From the way he lives his life to his priorities to I don't know. As I type that sentence, there is a voice telling me not to judge. I confess that I undermine his spiritual knowlegde.
In some circumstance I also feel I'm "holier than thou". I always think am I the only one around me to feel that Christians especailly in our church are unequiped for spiritual warfare, lack the Holy Sprit's manifestations and lack maturity? Come on, Holy Sprit come with power, healing, casting out demons etc. though miracles should not be the main focus. The lack of them though is a serious problem.
I'm sad because christians in our church don't have power and especially ones which demonstrate the power of God. I'm even more amzed at the lack of depth and passion for God. Revival meeting seems to be just another talk by another speaker other than our own pastor. If the power of God is present, we will have a revival meeting each week! All my life, God has not given me sign. But I believe what I need is not a sign. I may not believe it even if it were to appear in front of me now. I'm frustrated and depressed. Every time negative thoughts enter my mind, it gets amplified by the enemy and neutralise my defenses. I feel rather defeated in a sense. So much for be holy and be happy.
Well, as a conclusion, my biggest obstacle comes not from my own parents, I've not got an encounter with God, the church lacks power and I can't discern what is right and wrong.
I'm really afraid I twisted some facts. Thanks for reading my long long article.

No comments: