Saturday, December 8, 2007

Youth Camp 2

Hey, I'm back again (Saturday, 8Dec). I'm awfully tired. Have been attending a meeting the whole morning plus a concert by some fantastic children-youth choirs in the afternoon. A day well used if I may say so my self but my lack of holiday revision is a bit worrying considering that I may be busy for the next week or so.
Anyways, back to my youth camp.
So on the first day of the camp on the 3rd, I went there rather early. Besides 4 of the committee members who is supposed to go to the camp site early for preparations, the rest of the committtee only came an hour after I came. So I'm stuck with my brother for the next 1 hour. It was okay except for the minor scuffle I had with him because i didn't let him play the piano.
We started the camp off with committee prayer where we gave thanks to God for the His graciousness upon us. (Have I told you it has been raining for days with only periodic stops?). Well, on the day the sun, by the grace of God, started to shine. Hallelujah! Oh ya, I forgot to say something. The night before when i was packing my bags, I was a hypocrite. On one hand i told my bro that by faith it will not rain. I keep repeating that even when he asked whether we need to bring sunblock as was stated in the camp checklist. But guess what? I packed my umbrella. I even told Dennis to pack an umbrella! O' me of little faith! I soon realise how faithless and hypocritical I was. I was praying that it didn't rain, even told my brother that by faith the sun will shine and here i am packing an umbrella.. sigh.. Fortunately, my conscience got the better of me. I immediately awoke (i was almost asleep) and took my umbrella out.
Ok, back to the first day. YOu know what, I learnt my first lesson on the first day even before we left for Santubong. Lesson number 1: Never ever tell anyone you know wushu especially if you look like a bookworm! You know, after i told them i know wushu the saturday before, everytime my MYF'ers see me they'll say "Hi,wushu!" or just repeat the word wushu a dozen times!!!! One even changed it to "dushu", which is chinese for reading books! If I'm an emo person as Sam discribes it, boy, I would be locking myself up in the doors of depression for being laughed at (teased is a better word)
But honestly, I actually quite enjoy the teasing. I mean, though it may sound like it's insulting my abilities but it was actually a blessing in disguise. Those who do not actually know me at least now know me by my new found unfortunate nickname: "Wushu". Yup, my name is now "wushu". Also, this teasing has the potential to draw me closer to people, many whom I'm not close to. So I have no qualms though I was somewhat irritated sometimes. I even got a new motto to console myself which is "MY Greatest Weakness Will be My Greatest Strength". Cool motto, don't ya think? No? You gotta learn to appreciate English man!
It was drizzling that drizzling afternoon. At first I thought, "so much for not bringing the umbrella.." because to get to the bus I had to come under the rain. But I assured myself that it is a good time to show those who think I'm a bookworm that "bookworms" ain't scared of the rain. I also know that God will provide.
During the trip, my faith was tested again. As we rode across Santubong bridge, it started to rain as was yesterday-really heavy. In fact, I think it has been raining on this side of Kuching for some time already. We just entered into rain zone. My bro joked that it was rain here because we only prayed on the other side of Kuching and not on this side. Either ways, it was a test.
Guess what, just 2 or more kilometres before we arrived, the downpour reduced itself back into a drizzle. Ah, the joy that flowed... till... splash!!! Yuck!!.. that was probably the dirtiest water besides the water that came from the Santubong sewage tunnel into the beach that ever sprayed onto my face! That van (i think) came from nowhere and just gave a few of us unfortunate right-side-windowers a splash of welcoming.
At Santubong I had 3 roommates with me, one of which was Dennis. Initially I was a little cautious about the other two, well, not because they are the MYF bad hats or anything. It's just that I do not know them really well and i don't have a good first impression of them, hence the suspicion. Still, i tried to be as friendly as my nature permits.
The first worship session was conducted by me. Boy it was a mess. Although there was only 20 minutes left before the whole camp officially began, the equipment team have not completed instrument set-up. So I do not have much of practice time. And here comes praise and worship. Honestly, i didn't prepare well for this. And the mic was blur. So the words that came out was blurry and not well organised. Oh, well. Sorry Lord:(
The first talk by our speaker Uncle David Eu was quite informative. In fact, I feel he is a good speaker, an adult speaker but not so much of a youth speaker.
Fast forward to the night. Boy, the barbeque was far from satisfactory. I mean, I won't mind if we done it ourselves, but since they insist on doing it themselves, I expect super good barbequeing, not burnt-one-side sausages. And did I mention the ants coming out of the cakes? But kudos for the i-hope-it's safe- delicious soup.
Oh ya, there's still the games before that. It is called "pass the potato" where you passs a potato around until the music stops. The person who possesses the potato after the music stop gotta answer a question. Failure to answer it correctly and you'll be punished. Well, ar... initially, it was smooth sailing. The potato left me arms as soon as it arrived... until..my mischievious friend unsuspectingly put in my shirt. Unfortunately, the music stopped at that time also. Ok.. cool.. just a question.. most answered correctly... i can do it...
"What did flintstones use to move their car? A. Foot B. Dinasour C. Tar."
"Err.. Dinasour?"
"It's wrong!"
What? Oh man..., I got that wrong? No way.. well.. yes way... my awful hearing punished me again. You know, when the game master said foot, I heard food!!! SO I THOUGHT THAT WASN'T THE ANSWER. Plus my other friends yelling dinasour, I finally gave in. Oh great, punishment time. Guess what it is... write words using your butt.. fortunately, i got a few other unlucky ones doing it with me... phew...
Well, that's all for the first day. I can't believe I took so long just to finish typing this...

No comments: