Saturday, September 29, 2007

My BelovedBrother

I guess everyone who have siblings will face this huh. It's probably my greatest sin right now. Since young I tried exerting control over my brother, unintentionally. It's not that I want to but being elder it's kinda my natural instinct. Whether we paly toys or any games, it's always my rules which dominate it. I always seem to leave my brother out of the picture.
However, since a long time ago, I already realised that my brother have far more capabilities than me. If he just work hard, he can be better than me in almost every area. Today, this is coming true. He is interested in gardening so he is more knowledgable now. He is better musically than me, piano and guitar-wise, maybe in two years time singing-wise too. He is a bit better than me in badminton too, I don't doubt he'll make a good public speaker and leader if he just break the ice. The only thing I can actually say I'm better now is my Bible knowledge and practice and erm.. chess..
Being an elder brother and a one that loves him, I know I should be proud of the fact that he is good in certain areas. Yet, I think I'm becoming a little jealous and unsecure at his "superiority". I don't know why but nowadays I am easily threatened when my "authority" is challenged, that is when people talk rudely to me. I've become overly sensitive and every minor stuff like talking to me in a slightly louder voice would be blown so out of proportion in my mind that I get angry and lash out the other person. I admit, pride is getting in my way.
To be honest, deep inside I'm happy at my brother's development. He is growing up and whatever is his, well, is his. God never said that the older must be better than the younger. We are all the same. Please forgive me Lord for having pride take control. Ground me in your truth Lord that I'm significant in your eyes no matter how my ability is because I'm your work and creation.
To my brother and my family members, I'm sorry also for the times I let my pride take control and lash out unnecessarily and you guys. I'm real sorry, it's unintentional.
But I'm worried for the spiritual development of my brother. As it seems, it's not going well. Yes, he is still reading the Bible and praying but I feel his growth has stunted. First, he is totally not interested in talks (which is sadly normal among younger youths his age). Second, he is not reading any Christian books at all, meaning he will lack understanding. I really do hope he reads some of my books at home but he always calls them boring. How then is he to know about his identity in Christ which is powerful that even demons will fear him, how then is he to know how to fight temptation, how then is he to interpret the Bible in a better way? How then is life is going to be enriched? I guess maybe you'll say that he is still too young, give him time but do you realise what we lack now is time? I don't know how close we are to end of the world and if it is today, I'm wonder how firm he will stand in this faith in the midst of the suffering we Christians will face. And besides, everyday that gone by without you knowing more about God and your new fredom and power as God's son is another day of unnecessary pain.
I can't do much now except to pray hard for him. I hope he will read this. I hope he will understand no matter how bad I unintentionally treat him, i love him as my one and only brother.

No comments: